Intro to Tableau: Easy charts and maps
Part of the DataFest Workshop Series. Tableau Public (available for both Windows and Mac) is incredibly useful free software that allows individuals to quickly and easily explore their data with a wide variety of visual representations, as well as create interactive web-based visualization dashboards. This workshop will focus on using Tableau Public to create data visualizations, starting with an overview of how the program thinks about data, common data manipulation and loading, and the terminology used. Activities will include a sample data visualization and mapping project, which will give people hands-on experience using Tableau’s basic chart types and dashboard creation tools. We will also discuss publishing to the Tableau Public web server and related services and tools, like the full Tableau Desktop application (free for full-time students).
This workshop is designed for beginners who might be comfortable with data and spreadsheets, but have no experience with Tableau, are curious about what it can do, and want to get a quick introduction so they can start playing on their own.
- If you need help with something during the session, you'll be expected to share your screen.
- You will be expected to arrive with Tableau Public or Desktop already installed on the machine you're Zooming from if you want to work along with me or do the exercises during the workshop!
- Tableau is available through the company itself, not OIT
- Tableau Public is free and available for Mac and Windows
- Tableau Desktop is free for students or those doing non-profit research (as defined by Tableau)
This event is offered virtually in accordance with Duke's Coronavirus-19 Events policies. A zoom link will be sent via email to registered participants to join the workshop.
The content of the workshop may be recorded. If you are uncomfortable with a recording being published, please contact the instructor at anytime prior to the conclusion of the workshop.
- Tuesday, March 30, 2021
- 6:30pm - 8:30pm
- Data and Visualization