Teaching with Technology Bootcamp
LOCATION: Link Classroom 3, Lower Level, Perkins Library.
Attend all three parts of today's Bootcamp to become familiar with the most commonly-used teaching tools at Duke. This event will present basic information designed for those new to teaching at Duke (faculty or graduate students), who would like an introduction to these tools in order to jump-start their course set-up.
Part 1: Getting Started with Sakai (9:30 - 11 AM)
This hands-on workshop is designed to give Duke faculty and other instructors the knowledge and skills necessary to create and manage a course site in Sakai. During the session, you will get an overview of Sakai basics, including the most commonly used Sakai features and how to navigage the site settings. By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Create and manage a course site,
- Enable and manage commonly used Sakai tools,
- Use the course organization tools and upload course materials to your site, and
- Identify key features of the gradebook and understand TA grading permissions.
Bring your laptop so that you can work in your own course site(s) as you complete the workshop activities. Before the workshop, be sure you are comfortable logging in to Duke sites with your netID and password.
Part 2: Learning Tools Lightning Talks (11 AM - 12 PM)
During this session you will get 5-10 minute introductory demos of a number of useful teaching tools available at Duke, and will learn where to get more information about any of the tools you would like to use in your course.
- Warpwire - Stream and share audio and video
- PlayPosit - Embed questions and interactivity in your teaching videos
- Voicethread - Build multimedia discussions into your course
- Gradescope - Grade faster and more consistently
- Zoom - Easily host web conferences, online meetings, and virtual group work
- Kits - Connect people to the tools in your courses
Part 3: Open Q&A Office Hour + Lunch (12 - 1 PM)
Following the two morning workshops, we will hold open office hours for any questions you have about teaching and educational technologies at Duke. Light lunch will be available.
NOTE: Registering at the page you are on will sign you up for all three parts of the Bootcamp.
If you are interested in attending one or more individual parts but not the entire day, use the links below:
Register for Part 1: Getting Started with Sakai (9:30 - 11 AM)
Register for Part 2: Learning Tools Lightning Talks (11 AM - 12 PM)